A humidor’s proper moisture and temperature must be created before storing cigars. Follow these simple instructions:
- Do not rinse the inside of your humidor with water. This is often the wrong advice and it will damage your humidor's cedar lining. If you wish to wipe it down to speed the process, make sure to use a clean cloth that has been dampened with distilled water, not wet.
- Insert a humidification device. If your humidor comes equipped with humidifier, add Propylene Glycol Activation Solution to your humidifier until well saturated. Dry off the surface of the humidifier and place on a towel for approximately one hour to make sure that no dripping occurs. Do NOT use distilled water to charge your humidifier as it will either 1) humidify too quickly or 2) over-humidify because there is no PG solution to restrict the flow of moisture.
- Fill a plastic cup or dish with water and place it inside the humidor.
- Check the humidity inside the humidor in 24 hours. Slowly but surely the humidifier will emit moisture into the humidor for slow, proper seasoning.
- Do not add any cigars to your new humidor until the relative humidity reaches 65% to 70%. This process can take 2 to 15 days depending on your climate and the size of the humidor. If you live in a very dry climate we recommend that you use additional humidification units.
- Do not forget to test the calibration of your new hygrometer.
Your humidor is now ready to store cigars. When placing cigars in the humidor, make sure the cigars do not block the humidifier’s vents.
TIP: Some manufacturer instructions will advise you to dampen the humidor with a sponge, but we've been advised against this by people who work with wood. If you subject raw wood to water it may swell, crack or otherwise become compromised. The sponge may contain particles that can contaminate the humidor. If you do wipe humidor's interior, use a clean, lint-free cloth and take care not to leave the surfaces wet.
TIP 2: If you're looking for a new humidification system or to upgrade your current humidifier, here is a nice info-graphic to help you choose the Humidifier what will work best for your needs:
TIP 3: Simple Recipe Guide for Seasoning Your Humidor
Watch Our Cigar Tutorial Videos